Trauma in Everyday Life:
Trauma, Compassion, and Reconciliation
Sponsored by the Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies
and Madison College
Friday, April 3, 2020, at Madison College in Madison, Wisconsin
Madison College and the Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies are pleased to invite scholars and community members to submit papers and presentations for a one-day conference on topics related to peace and conflict. We especially welcome students to participate. This year’s theme will center on trauma and trauma-informed practices.
Call for Proposals Deadline is Monday, February 24, 2020
Keynote Speakers: Arno Michaelis and Pardeep Kaleka
with a workshop/panel led by Masood Akhtar and Mike McCabe of Wisconsin’s United Against Hate.
Conference registration at http://mitbytheater.org/ (Registration is being handled through the theater box office; click Get Tickets to register). Hotel Information is below. Please reserve rooms by March 2 for best rates!
In the twenty-first century, trauma can no longer be relegated to an isolated field or treated only as an outcome. Trauma, instead, has also become a pre-condition in how we organize our everyday lives. To fully understand and critique the breadth of a trauma-informed culture and practice, this conference invites panels, papers, performances, and posters that center on all aspects of trauma. Some example areas to question could be:
• What are some characteristics of a trauma-informed pedagogy?
• How does trauma inform our care practices?
• What does the lens of trauma bring to the praxis of peace?
• What is the role of trauma within the process of reconciliation?
• Is there a matrix of trauma that can serve our understanding of relationships, of healing, or empowerment?
• How has the field of Human Rights recognized and integrated trauma into a practice?
While we welcome papers that address the theme of the conference, individuals should feel free to submit proposals on any subject broadly related to peace and conflict studies. All proposals are due by Monday, February 24, 2020.
We invite presentations in the following formats:
• Traditional paper presentations: Presentations should be 10-20 minutes long. Papers should be based on individual or collaborative research and critical thinking. Student papers are eligible for cash prizes awarded by the Wisconsin Institute. To be considered for these prizes, students must submit finished papers by March 15, 2020.
• Roundtable discussions: Roundtables should include at least three participants.
• Research posters: The posters will be on display during a one-hour poster session. Presenters should plan to be available at their posters to discuss them with other conference participants.
• Creative presentations: Creative presentations include poems, short stories, visual art, songs, brief performance art, and theater. Visual artists should plan to offer digital slide presentations about their work. Creative presentations should range from 10 to 20 minutes; applicants should specify the amount of time needed. Proposals should include the imagery as .jpg files and proposed topic abstract. Artists may bring original artwork and their own display elements for their presentation.
All proposals should be emailed to Matthew Sargent, firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 24, 2020. They must designate the submission category and include your name, affiliation, whether you are a student or faculty member, the title of your presentation, and a 150-word abstract. For questions, please contact Matthew Sargent at 608-246-6526.
Fairfield Inn & Suites | 2702 Crossroads Drive | Madison, Wisconsin 53718 | P 608.661.2700
Rate: from $82, book by March 3.
Guests may call the hotel directly to make reservations 608-661-2700 by mentioning the WIPCS Group or they can book online using the custom web link below.
Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor’s Club
1 W. Dayton St., Madison WI 53703
Rate: $131 for 2Q room, book by March 5
Group Direct Booking Link – No login/Attendee Code needed:
Booking Engine 4.0 URL: https://reservations.travelclick.com/6388?groupID=2738916